Today's weather meant that while I was busy inside creating this cheeky little flower, nature was busy outside creating temporary art in my back yard and on the roof over the garage, just outside my workshop window. I seem to have a tendency to create a lot of flowers in the coldest part of winter. I truly enjoy winter .... I think I just miss the flowers!
Another example of my creative process. I wanted to improve on a design I made last fall which had a vase holding three flowers, all done with clear textures. This time, I was determined to work out the outside dimensions first. This would allow me to match the flow of the design in the architectural glass I was using to frame the piece. When I laid it out on the table, it quickly became obvious that the proposed frame was far too thick for a long, narrow piece, and that the pale-colored vase was actually the same glass as the frame -too matchy, matchy! I also decided that the use of coloured wine glass bases was not going to work because they were all the same size. So I cut the strips in half. Then I gave myself permission to cut up a cobalt blue, hand-etched plate I had flatttened at least three years ago, and to use three of my Scottish wine glass bases. I used nearly the last of my bits of green-on-green fractured streamer for the stems and leaves - and voilà - Salutations!
The Creative Process. I rarely work from drawings, even from concept sketches. On a quiet day at the gallery, I did sketch out a concept for my amethyst rose which included the traditional curved lines and leaves that accompany this flower, along with some structured Rennie Macintosh grids and stretched rectangles. By time the glass hit the work table, the leaves were gone and I moved the position of the rose to incorporate the pointed edges into the design without any extra cut lines.
Happy New Year! I am so happy to be getting more time in my workshop - creating these pieces has been a lot of fun. The first two (Sisters 1 and 2) are part of my Heritage Series and were created using two larger bowls. The blue one was a real treasure - the first coloured bowl in this pattern that I have found in over three years of collecting. Both bowls (predictably) cracked in the soldering process. As Lenard Cohen said ' there is a crack, that's where the light comes in'. The amethyst rose was a challenge I set for myself for the new year. I took a very traditional bevel kit and created my own background, using fractured streamer to introduce leaf colours in an abstract manner. Two small camera lenses, joined in a loop, are designed to catch the eye and balance the dominant rose. The weatherman is predicting stormy weather overnight so I have a good excuse to spend the day in my workshop again tomorrow!